Saturday, October 24, 2009

I DIDN'T KNOW IT WAS SO HEAVY!

We started family counseling this week, to help my son deal with his PSD. As is typical with most teenagers, my son has a hard time getting along with his dad (my husband). My son was very anxious going into this meeting for fear that they would be arguing. I was grateful that our therapist was able to give both my husband and our son some tools for improving their communication.

As we neared the end of our hour long session, I was over whelmed with relief (to the point of tears) in my heart by the fact that someone else was helping me manage this huge problem that had started to consume our family. I had no idea that the weight of the burden I was carrying was so heavy until someone else took from me for a while. Even though I had, in my heart and mind, given this worry to God and felt peace about it, I was still carrying around the weight of the situation. Wow! What a relief to finally trust someone else to handle my problems.

I am excited that the skills we will all learn from this therapy, will strengthen our different relationships. Already I am beginning to see a small difference. Thank you God, please continue to teach us how to use the weapons you have given us to fight the battle before us and to lean on you and your power to overcome.

"Blessed be the LORD, my rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle;
he is my steadfast love and my fortress, my stronghold and my deliverer,
my shield and he in whom I take refuge, who subdues peoples under me."
Psalm 144: 1-2 (ESV)

What struggles or battles in your life are you still struggling with? Have you REALLY given responsibility over to God? If you have trouble doing that, pray that God will send someone your way to help you let go of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment