Tuesday, April 21, 2009

THE LORD HELPS THOSE WHO HELP THEMSELVES…OH REALLY!

I know I usually wait until Sunday to post, but I thought I'd throw this one out there for fun.  Besides, this weekend I'll be attending a ladies retreat through my church and I know there will be plenty to write about for Sunday.


 “Blessed is he whose help is the God of Jacob.  Whose hope is in the Lord his God…the Lord lifts up those who are bowed down; the Lord loves the righteous.” Psalm 146:5-8

 

        Recently, one of my readers said to me “Have you ever heard of, The Lord helps those who help themselves?”  I said yes I’ve heard that but that is not what my writing teaches.  I didn’t want to get into a deep conversation with him at the time, but that statement bothered me.  As I walked away I asked God, “What am I to say to that statement?”  Many people feel that way, that they should be good enough to solve their own problems.  Now, I firmly believe that a person should do everything in their own power to meet the basic needs of themselves and others in their care.  I believe God wants us to work hard for what we have.  However, from our biggest need to our smallest need, we really are not capable of doing anything to meet that need without God’s help.

 

        God doesn’t want me to “help myself.”  What can I do anyway?  Can I change the setting sun?  Can I tell the ocean where to stop?  God is the boss.  The very fact that I exist is by God’s design and not of my own power.  God delights when I depend upon him and only him.  Nothing I do of my own power is good enough to offer as a gift to God.  The only thing God wants from me is to acknowledge him as my sovereign maker and rejoice in his love for me. 

 

        God’s love makes me complete and happy and empowers me to accomplish what needs to be done.  My happiness pleases God.  I was designed to bring pleasure to God.

 

Readers, what are your thoughts on this subject?  

“Enquiring minds want to know.”  (National Enquirer)

No comments:

Post a Comment