Sunday, April 5, 2009

MOMMA, I NEED YOU!

The other day, my daughter and I "discussed" her choice of foods for breakfast. She wanted a Popsicle and I offered her cereal (her #1 choice) and several "mother approved" options. The result was a whinny dissent that resulted in a her retreating to the floor under the dining room table to woller in her misery. I on the other hand, continued to enjoy my breakfast ignoring her attempts to have her own way.

After a vocal five minutes, I heard, "Momma, I need you!" I had just taken my last bite of breakfast while sitting at the kitchen table, so I got up and went into the dining room, got down on my hands and knees and crawled under the table with her. She was so happy that I had met her down in her "pit" that she rolled over to me and laid her head on my arm, looked up at me with her velvet brown eyes and a big smile on her face and said "Mommy, I sorry." (Totally uncoached by me.) Without hesitation, I kissed her forehead and said, "Thank you for your apology, I forgive you. Are you ready to come and eat breakfast?" To which she replied, "I want cereal." As we both crawled out of "the pit" I was reminded of all the times God met me down in my "pits" with arms of forgiveness and an opportunity to try again.

I am so grateful that God forgives me when I ask for it and gives me second, third and fourth chances. On some virtues, I've stopped counting the "second" chances for they are too many to count, but ALWAYS, God is there to receive me and shows me the way out of the pit.

I have also learned that when I have a spirit of repentance the way back to God seems easier each time I need to travel it. The hardest journeys have always been the ones where pride prevented me from repenting. Now that my relationship with God the Father is restored, I am crushed when I mess up, but quickly turn to him for help and guidance.

As my love, admiration and passion for God increases, my desire to please him also increases and my trust in him to help me walk with him increases as well. Psalm 143:7-10 express my heart's desire and cry:

"Answer me quickly, O Lord!
My spirit fails!
Hide not your face from me,
lest I be like those who go down to the pit.
Let me hear in the morning of your steadfast love,
for in you I trust.
Make me know the way I should go,
for to you I lift up my soul.
Deliver me from my enemies, O Lord!
I have fled to you for refuge!
Teach me to do your will,
for you are my God!
Let your good Spirit lead me
on level ground!"

What about you? Do you want out of your pit? Jesus has already been to that same pit and knows the way out, but you need to trust him to help you. Then you have to move toward him...repent of what got you in that pit and walk with God out of it. Let me know how it works out for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment