Sunday, March 7, 2010

CATHEDRAL CALLING

My friend and mentor, Alice, suggested that we go to Washington National Cathedral because of an epiphany she had received recently. She felt there was a reason we were to go there. I was very intrigued by this request and wondered what might happen. I have had several encounters with God, some of which were very powerful and personal. I had high expectations when we eagerly arrived at the massive stone structure built specifically for a place of worship to GOD.


Because I had been to the Cathedral before, I was not surprised by the incredible size of the building, or the fact that it was built out of stone over a 90 year span beginning in 1900. I was enamored though, by the beauty of the stain glass windows, intricate carvings, beautiful tapestries and the fact that world dignitaries had been in that very place to worship and pay respects to world famous people who had passed on.


As we toured the massive place of worship, I was drawn to just be still and listen. I tried to steal quiet moments while moving about. I lit some candles for family and friends, prayed for them, attended a noon worship service and enjoyed a bag lunch on the 7th floor observation tower. I must say that there wasn’t any one specific, spectacular moment when God revealed himself to me or her. At first it was a bit disappointing, but quickly I remembered that God is not always in the obvious or grandiose.


However, we did pray for an older man who had trouble walking because his knees hurt…God was there. I did spend some time kneeling and praying for God to walk with me and help me to recognize his voice better…God was there. We both lit candles for family and friends and prayed for them and for the Holy Spirit to fill us and guide us in our callings…God was there. On the way home, we worshiped to Michael W. Smith’s music…God was there. The next day, when I reflected upon my trip to the Cathedral and asked God what He wanted me to glean from my experience; He told me that I need go no further than my own heart to find him…God is always there.


The LORD said, "Go out and stand on the mountain in the presence of the LORD, for the LORD is about to pass by."

Then a great and powerful wind tore the mountains apart and shattered the rocks before the LORD, but the LORD was not in the wind. After the wind there was an earthquake, but the LORD was not in the earthquake. After the earthquake came a fire, but the LORD was not in the fire. And after the fire cam1e a gentle whisper. When Elijah heard it, he pulled his cloak over his face and went out and stood at the mouth of the cave.
Then a voice said to him, "What are you doing here, Elijah?"

1 Kings 19:11-13


What about you? Do you go looking for God in “holy places”? Do you wait to “see Him” on Sundays? Do you ever expect to meet God during your regular routine? Living as a child of THE King is never routine. Everyday is a new adventure in hearing God’s voice, seeing his miracles, living his truth. We don’t need high and mighty places to meet God…but it is nice to “go with” God to special places and just love on each other. How is God pouring his love on you right now? What is your plan to love on God today? Expect Him to love you back even more.

No comments:

Post a Comment